Wedding season is among us and beautiful brides to be are counting the days until their marriage takes place. If you are a woman of faith more than likely you have participated in premarital counseling, received advice from family/friends and received a list of suggested books to read. These items along with regular wedding planning may take the joy out of your big day. Try distracting yourself from everyday tasks by creating a journal for your husband to be.
This past February I posted an idea for unmarried women to create a journal for their future husbands in the hopes that any Scrooge-like behavior would be deterred. It’s something I struggled with in the past but am now determined to have a more positive outlook of. Below I’ve created seven steps to creating a journal for your husband to be. If you decide to use this idea on any social media platform, please credit/tag me @yevettegooden. I’d be very grateful if you did.
- Hope for the Future – Write to him telling of your hopes and dreams for the future. Do you want children? If so, how many? Do you have dreams of the two of you traveling or starting a business? Allow your mind to wander and don’t hold back.
- Goals – Do you have goals for your life? Write them in the journal for your husband and when you accomplish them
writehim an updatewith the date.
- Poems – If you’re so inclined
writehim a love poem of your own or from your favorite poet.
- Love songs – Is there a song that reminds you of your future life with him? Write down the lyrics and on a separate page tell him why the song causes you to think of him. Try Etta James for example.
- Prayer – All of this would be to no avail if you were not praying for your marriage now BEFORE becoming a wife. As you pray for
godlycharacter in your mate write it down. It will give him cause for reflection once the two of you become man and wife.
- Love Letter – Set aside a section of your journal for impromptu letters telling him how you can’t wait to meet him and for your courtship to begin.
- Pictures – Utilize clippings from a magazine of an ideal vacation spot or a cute couple that makes you dream of him.
Allow your creative side to flourish as you begin this journey. Decorate the pages with masculine colors. It is for him after all. Remember this journal is for the man you will one day marry and not for a boyfriend. Prayerfully keep this to yourself until the appointed time. God bless you…
Any text, photo, graphic or other material shall not be used for any purpose without the express written consent of the author.